Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Smackdown Live! - 9/13/2016

*Opening segment: Aj styles is confronted by John Cena, Dean Ambrose and Shane McMahon
(S): decent promo. I think Shane is an outright idiot here. Cena lost clean to AJ pre-title, what qualifies him to an instant shot? Ambrose had some fire here and Aj absolutely killed it. Champ that runs the camp indeed. 
(J):We knew this was coming. Even so, it would have been nice to see them make Cena earn the shot before just sliding him right in to the title picture. I like AJ as champ. 'Nough said here. I'm sure that Cena will get the win to allow him to tie Flair, possibly even one more time to put him above Flair. Honestly, I think he deserves it. I know most people hate him, but in his time as a major WWE player, he has done more for the industry than any other superstar in the history of the business. I honestly don't know if WWE would still be where it is today in that transition from the Attitude era to now if it weren't for Cena. The Face the Runs the Place is not just a clever epithet they though up for him. He carried the company for a long time, and he's done it with passion. Cena deserves it. But for the purposes of making sense in the story line, he needs to earn that spot in the triple threat, not have it handed to him. Stew, you are right. Ambrose chasing the title is already better than Ambrose with the title. Hopefully, he will figure out how to keep that drive with the belt for future runs.

*Match 1: The Usos v Hype Bros
(S):Backlash rematch, designed to put over the Heelsos. The red and white gear looks pretty good. 2/5 
(J): Again, I'm surprised by how well the Usos have taken to their new heel roles. I also like this incremental transition. They ditched the warpaint, then started building this new look. I'm hoping they'll get new music, too. Didn't go with the submission finisher, but hopefully that's just because they are working on it, not abandoning it. Wish that the Hype Bros would have put up more of a fight, just because they have been growing on me lately. Match Rating: 2.5/5.

*Video promo: Curt Hawkins returns 
(S): recycling Chuck Norris facts will not help him. Also the under the legs butt shot view was unappreciated.
(J): Fact: I have no idea who this guy is, or why he's getting a direct to main roster premier. 

*In ring segment: Miz addresses the Universe. 
(S): I'm not sure where this is going. It isn't exciting me as much as it started to. Also his constantly telling off Bryan like he is in charge bothers me as Bryan can strip him off the title and force any match. Miz would be in violation of the contract he keeps harping on. Kind of dumb to anyone who understands contracts at all.
(J): Actually I've heard that this might be another brand switch, but unlike Swagger's one that will actually matter. Miz is threatening to jump ship to Raw when his contract is up, and take the IC title with him. If Miz does leave, I doubt he'll be taking the belt. Ziggler will probably end up with it, if this is the case. *Backstage promo: Aj attempts to recruit Corbin.
(S): honestly I hate this heel needs a partner but everyone hates them thing. They do it too often. Also Corbin is an idiot to turn it down, since his character is all about making statements and money, he excuses himself out of a main event against the guys who are challenging for the title. Wins over those guys could get him shots but he'd rather be all mouthy. What an idiot.
(J): I agree that this didn't make a whole lot of sense. Would have been better to take the match, then turn on Styles to send his message. I know, they did it to give Corbin some screen time with out actually putting him in the match, but it did read as a little weak. I'm actually hoping that this whole bit is leading up to another club member joining AJ.   *In ring segment: Corbin destroyed crews gets confronted by newly signed Swagger.
(S): so a few things. Corbin wasted a main event slot to do this? Waste. At least crews wasn't smiling the whole time. Swaggers promo was weird but the fans love shouting we the people so hopefully he can do something here. (J): Well, I may have been wrong about my previous comments about Swagger. I feel like a lot of this promo was just trying out catch phrases, but this is more than I've seen out of Swagger in the last 5 or 6 years! I have to say though, pitting him against Corbin who is starting to gain some traction seems an odd choice. Swagger is coming off a losing streak a mile long, and if he's really wanting to turn something around, he needs a win. Corbin would possibly take the loss and keep his momentum from faltering too much, but I just don't see it happening. *Match 2: Fatal 5-Way #1 Contender’s Match: Nikki v Naomi v Alexa v Carmella v Natalya
(S): good match. It didn't have the weird throw everyone out part from backlash. I did feel like it was almost the same match minus the best girl. I'm actually really excited about bliss and Becky. She's been growing on me. Except for the awesome of Becky winning the title, this was a better match than the night before because it was more tightly put together and had less obvious botches. 4/5 (J): Oh, yeah, I suppose we should have some actual wrestling on this wrestling show. At least, this was a high quality match. Also, did not expect that ending. Bliss vs Lynch for the title should be pretty good. And it's a match we haven't really seen before. I still don't know exactly how they are going to do anything interesting with the women's division here with only 6 women, but at least they are trying harder than Raw, which is currently only showcasing 4 of it's women, all in the same storyline. Also, the current pairings could produce some great match ups. Bell/Mella is at least something we've not seen before, and I think that Natty and Naomi could have some great stuff as long as they don't give them a bad storyline (even then, I still think the matches would be good). Gotta give it up to Naomi also, for taking the high risk opportunities, which most of the other women aren't doing much of. Match Rating: 3.5/5
*Backstage segment: Aj attempts to recruit Kane.
(S): more of the same. No one wants to main event snack down. Losers. (J): I'm glad that Kane is still active, but there has to be a better use for him. *In ring segment: Heath Slater Contract Signing
(S): funny stuff. I'm still enjoying Heath and rhino. The Ascension interrupted. No way Ascension gets the titles as much as they are hated on the main roster. (J): I love this pairing. Rhyno does a great job of playing off of Heath, and vice versa. I think the Ascension might need a gimmick. Wait... did Heath actually sign his contract? Perhaps, this isn't the end of this bit.
*Match 3: Tag Team Championships: Heath Slater & Rhyno v The Ascension
(S): crowd really hating on the Ascension after they screwed up a double team. Quick and dirty match with rhino doing the hard work as per the dynamic. 2/5 (J): Yeah, the Ascension definitely need to do something. It's one thing to get heat like that because you're supposed to; it's another get it because of a botched move. It wasn't even that bad, and at least they just kept on rolling. Pretty quick match, would have liked to see Heath actually work a bit before Rhyno cleaned house. Match Rating: 2.5/5 *Backstage Segment: Ajs partner revealed to be a jobber.
(S): amusing but I'm not sure it will stick. The graphic of them all was enough to be worth it though. (J): Ok, this has got to be leading to something big. They've got me hooked. That, or AJ will essentially wrestle a handicap match, but some how this guy slides in to get the pinfall.
*In ring segment: Orton and Bray Wyatt. Rowan attacks Orton but gets destroyed.
(S): the promo was ok, but the attack was dumb. Orton looks light years ahead in this feud and I hate it. Bray needs the win and it isn't looking well. Also when did bray and Rowan get back together? (J): I was expecting a returning Luke Harper, not Eric Rowan. Seems weird for them to bring him back in again already. Was that  clown sheep mask? Who did he piss off? It's making Bray look weak that he is pulling the family in to take this one for him after the loss. I could see if he won, but Randy wasn't backing down, and so he brings in his underlings to handle his light work, but this... Just let him be on his own for a while.
*Match 4: John Cena & Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles & The Miz
(S): unsurprisingly Miz takes out else worth and joins in his place. Miz is here to further his ego trip thing he's doing calling himself the main event and also here to eat the pin from Cena to protect Aj. I'm ok with both these things. Also I'm glad to see him away from Dolphins and playing with Ambrose and Cena as opponents for a minute at least. Post match during celebration dean hits dirty deeds on Cena. Good job. I'm thinking dean is either turning heel or he's working into a tweeter territory. It's where he's best in my opinion. 3.5/5 (J): Not what I was hoping for, but I'll take it, I guess. I agree with Stew that getting Miz and Dolph to stop playing patty-cake is a good move, but unless something comes of the AJ/Miz partnering, I feel like it's a waste of an opportunity to do something to really further the story line. I don't see Dean going full heel here. Not with AJ filling that role in this story. The match itself was pretty good, and Miz does seem to have stepped up his game in the ring lately. Match Rating: 3.5/5.

*FINAL THOUGHTS* 
(S): overall the show was a 3.5/5. Not a bad show by any stretch but really only had 4 matches that's one per half hour which isn't a bad rate if they get a lot of time but two of them were under 5 minutes (Usos v Hype bros was like 2-3). So the majority of the two hours was commercials and talking segments. I'm not upset at this when storylines get furthered so I'm not mad. I don't care for Cena to immediately gets title shot upon coming back but I'm not shocked. It'll be interesting to see where things go from here.
(J): I know that Smackdown has a smaller roster, but if this is really "Show of Opportunity", they should really be having more matches to let superstars show what they've got. Some of the segments were pretty entertaining, but not so entertaining that they warranted the majority of the shows run time. Over all show rating: 2.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment